Wednesday, August 13, 2008

5 Songs with Liars


I love Liars; there is absolutely no other way I can possible put it. Their the biggest mystery to hit music since Paul McCartney's "mysterious disappearance" all those years ago. Over the groups time we have seen them evolve from being funk punk perfectionists, to freak-folk missionaries, to story tellers, and with last years self-titled effort (and #2 on my end of the year list) becoming this frantic white noise avant garde band. So you can imagine the excitement that was built all over my face when I had the pleasure of speaking to lead-singer Angus Andrew a little while back. It didn't feel like an interview, but rather a conversation for I was a little dumbfounded when he revealed some childhood stories. Angus was very willing, and over the moon might I add, over the opportunity to compile a playlist for Off The Record. And with that, I give you yet another '5 Songs with'. Enjoy.

Liars Army Of Me (Björk Cover)
Liars Freak Out

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ANGUS ANDREW OF LIARS TOP 5 SONGS OF ALL-TIME, MAYBE.

America Horse With No Name
I grew up in Mt. Eliza, Victoria (James - That's like ten minutes from where I live!) on the beach. When I was about 6 they screened "World Safari I" at the local town hall. For some reason my whole family went to see it. This song seemed to play through the whole thing and I remember thinking that it had to be the Australian National Anthem. How disappointed I was when in my teens when I realised it was written by a band called 'America'.

Chamillionaire Game Gonna Cost A Fee
I feel so let down by modern hip-hop. If I could I'd just listen to Biggie forever. But man, I still really try. I mean the new Wu is rad but honestly I think the last entire hip-hop album I loved was Under Construction and that was ages ago. Anyway, like I said, I'm always trying and this song by Chamillionaire is really nice. I like Pharoahe Monk too.

Devendra Banhart Shabop Shalom
Since I heard this song I've emailed it to practically every Jewish person I know. I told Devendra it made me wanna become one. His voice is just amazing like Roy Orbison or something and the production is so beautiful. I love the whole album.

Tunnel Of Love Sex Freak
If your back-stage with Liars before a show your guaranteed to hear a Tunnel Of Love song, or 12. They were one of the first bands we played shows with and I still can't get enough of 'em. I've lost track of how many records they've made, its that many! This song is the first song on their first album called Tunnel of Love. They're currently on tour in Europe, I think.

Unwound We Invent You
I just wanted to put an Unwound song on here cause they're so damn important. But which song? They made start to finish albums with each track as good as the next. I've chosen the first song on Leaves Turn Inside You which was their last album and makes me really sad. I count Sara Lund as one of my favorite drummers of all time. Their discography should be everyone's iTunes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Previous '5 Songs with'.

Click Me Click Me Click Me

Labels: ,

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768