Saturday, August 09, 2008

5 Songs with Animal Collective


I've been doing interviews and the such for about two and a half years now, and in that time I have the greatest opportunities to meet and greet some of my idols. From meeting Sarah Blasko, to talking with The Grates (my first ever interview mind you), I feel pretty good with where my writing career has taken me. It got even more sweeter a few weeks ago when I had the pleasure of speaking to Noah (aka Panda Bear) from Animal Collective on the phone about solo projects, the new AC record, and when they would be making their way back to Australia. He is possibly the kindest person to talk to, and doesn't give one sentence responses. It was a conversation that only went for a half an hour, but it felt longer. Noah was kind enough to compile a playlist for Off The Record of his 5 favorite songs, as many artists have done so far (and there's plenty more to come).

Animal Collective Water Curses
Animal Collective Street Flash

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOAH LENNOX (AKA PANDA BEAR) OF ANIMAL COLLECTIVE'S 5 FAVORITE SONGS.

Mary J. Blige Real Love
This song maybe more than any other I can think of identifies a period of my life and instantly recalls my mental makeup and dreams and hopes and loves and those kinds of things. I would listen to the radio a lot in late middle school and high school and this song was real popular. These days its sort of a totem for an era of music that I get excited about. The rhythms and particularly the production techniques and processes for the rhythms from the time of this song are getting me really psyched recently; they're all so chunky and rugged.

The Idle Race Days Of Broken Arrows
I heard this song first in Richie Jacksons part in a Death skateboards video and I kind of can't disassociate the song from the part if you know what I mean. I really like to watch skateboarding videos and I like to skateboard even though I'm no good and don't often do it and I guess I'm a poser. But the movement involved and the process of capturing brave and impossible tricks hits home very hard for me.

Cocteau Twins Know Who You Are At Every Age
We (Animal Collective) heard this song maybe 5 times while we were in Athens, Georgia and I spent a little bit identifying who it was because I don't think I'd heard it before. I know the treasure record well but not much else I should say. I really like her voice and the way she sings and all the trilly and warped things she does although not so much on this jam.

The Dovers About Me
I don't know that they put out a full record or not and I think I've got just a collection of their singles or something like that but it really rips. I really like the repeated guitar thing in this song and I like how its kind of implied in your head the whole song even though it only kind of comes in every now and then. I like songs that have subliminal features I should say.

Blues Control Call Collect
I like the mellower side of their music the most even though I like the rockers too. They use some simple keyboard sounds almost like new age sounds and I really like that. I've been really into korg synth sounds and the korg 0/1 pro was the first thing I ever composed songs and sounds on so maybe it's kind of a memory connection. These dudes have a very casual and easy going way of playing and recording and I find that very pleasing and refreshing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Labels: ,

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768