Monday, July 28, 2008

5 Songs with Howling Bells


Howling Bells seem to be on the rise once again. I had the pleasure of interviewing the lovely and divine, and surprisingly bouncy, Juanita Stein a few weeks back. It seems the group, back then, where doing the final touches to their new album and things we're "looking good". Being a big fan of their debut release which was two years ago now - time flies - I immediately was looking forward to this. No date has been set yet for the as-yet-titled second album, but surely it can't be too far away. So, for the time being enjoy some b-sides from the group, and like with every artist I interview here's a playlist she has lovingly compiled for everyone on the spot.

Howling Bells Cities Burning Down
Howling Bells Setting Sun

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JUANITA STEIN OF HOWLING BELLS 5 FAVORITE SONGS.

Crystal Castles Magic Spells
I saw these guys not long ago at Oxford Arts Club in Sydney and thought it was a super energetic and uplifting show. This is the track I'm loving most on their album right now, of course it changes every day though!

Caribou Melody Day
I've been aware of Caribou for a while, but never really indulged until I heard this track faintly on some station recently, it's so wonderfully 60's and melodic. Reminds me of The Turtles 'Happy Together'.

Buddy Holly Dearest
It's on the Juno soundtrack, but cause my beloved played it to me first, it means something extra, extra special. It's really perfect!

Edith Piaf Padam, Padam
La Vie En Rose is surely my favourite film for forever! I adored every second of it and this song imparticular was just such a joyous moment. Her voice on the original recording is astounding!!!

Zombie Zombie A Land Of Renegades
They opened this new Rough Trade store in East London and it really kiks ass. This was one of the albums they had on display everywhere and I'd already heard that their live show is amazing. Anyways, it reminds me of Neu!!! which i luuurrrve. So, this is the track for me.

(James - exaggeration on words and exclamation marks were necessary)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Labels: ,

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768