Monday, June 02, 2008

5 Songs with Cryptacize


As some of Off The Record's regular readers may well be aware of, I'm a big fan of Nedelle and will lap up just about everything she becomes involved with. So when she first told me news of her side-project from her solo work, Cryptacize, I was of course intrigued. Disappointed I was not, and to find out they their debut album, Dig That Treasure, has been doing wonders has me feeling silly. Nevertheless, I should not let that stop me from continuing on. If you were a fan of Nedelle Torrisi's work by her lonesome, then there's no doubting whatsoever that you can't pass up the opportunity of listening to Cryptacize. It's fun, it's catchy but most of all of it's extremely happy, and there doesn't seem to be enough of this these days. The band is signed to Asthmatic Kitty, and it shouldn't be too long until this trio gets their name about (check out the tour dates on their Myspace for further proof).

Cryptacise Cosmic Sing-A-Long

Nedelle was kind enough to take some time out to lend a hand in Off The Record's latest feature '5 Songs with...' and compiled some nice little diddy's for us all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NEDELLE TORRISI OF CRYPTACIZE 5 FAVORITE SONGS.

Why? Simeon's Dilemma
We just finished touring with Why? and I still wake up every morning with one of their songs in my head. Too damn catchy! The melody of this song is really beautiful, I think, and the structure is odd. It just builds and builds and near the end the bassline moves and the drums intensify and it's really powerful! Then it just sorta ends. Strange song.

Cass McCombs Pregnant Pause
This song also has a gorgeous melody, I guess I'm just a sucker for them. I really like how perfectly the beat is executed, and since it's continuous throughout the song it sort of hypnotizes you and makes you focus on the chord changes and rad melody. I also love Cass's voice.

Howlin' Wolf - 'I Asked for Water and She Gave Me Gasoline'
That's such a great line! I love these lyrics.. The drums on this song sound so so good, too. My favorite part about this song is the dissonant guitar riff that repeats over and over, but he never plays it the same way twice. The piano is really out of tune too, giving the song a bizzare quality.

Dion And The Belmonts Where Or When
This is the perfect song for me because I love songs from musicals, which this is (Rodgers and Hart) and I also love doo wop. A great combo! The song sounds kind of demented- i think it's the combination of the slow and plodding rhythm and the harmonies.. Dion's voice is so sweet sounding too. I love it.

Ariel Pink Interesting Results
He takes a subject that could be mundane in someone else's hands, like writing a song, and it turns out profound! This song could be his manifesto about making music... or a manifesto about creativity in general. It has a lot of parts but they fit together in this perfect way, like a classic song. Chris likes to listen to this song while driving, it makes him happy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Purchase Dig That Treasure and watch the video for Cosmic Sing-A-Long.

Labels: ,

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768