Friday, May 18, 2007

Beirut

I've been a extremely late with this one, but as they say, it's better late then never, so I have finally given Beirut's latest release, Gulag Orkestar, a huge flogging this week. I was never too certain with, Albuquerque native, Zach Condon, one day I'd be completely bored with the record but then the next day I would have it on repeat for hours upon hours. Maybe he justs has that kind of effect and you have to be in the right mood and the right frame of mind to enjoy it? But what makes this record so undeniably great is the fact that Zach is still a teenager and is only just beginning. The record sounds like it was put together by a huge orchestra but it was all done by Zack and recorded at his house. He is a multi instrumentalist who plays some the most flamboyant eastern-European sounds you'll ever come across. A very enjoyable listen.

Beirut Postcards From Italy
Beirut The Bunker

Labels:

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768