Thursday, June 21, 2007

M.I.A.


I'm going to come out right now and say it, I am not a fan of hip hop, there I said it. I don't know what is about it that gets to me, maybe it's just that it all sounds the same. But, fortunately there is one exception and that would be the incredibly talented and gorgeous M.I.A. There were only a few albums this year that I was really anticipating to hear, and M.I.A.'s new one, Kala, was one of them. I was huge fan of the complete makeover of hip hop she created on her 2005 release, Arular, and now with her newest work about to hit shelves (August 21st to be precise) I'm really looking to seeing and hearing what sort of creative pieces of work she'll come up with this time around. Judging from the few tracks I've heard so far, this is going to be something huge. There is no doubting whatsoever that this album will push her popularity up a hell of a lot and even force her back into the mainstream scene once again. What makes the timing of Kala's release sweet, is the fact that it will be released a few weeks prior to her making another trip down to Australia, taking in all the Parklife festivals and hopefully doing some sideshows as well. If you were like me, and made up some excuse to not see her at the Big Day Out a few years back or didn't even go to her sideshows then, dont make the same mistake this time around, do what I'm gonna do. Buy a ticket for Parklife. To view possibly the best festival line-up to ever come to Australia, go here.

M.I.A. Boyz
M.I.A. Bird Flu
M.I.A. Bird Flu (Diplo Remix)
M.I.A. XR 2

Pre-order Kala and watch the video for Boyz

Labels:

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768