Thursday, December 21, 2006

Off The Record Top 15: Part 1 (James' Picks)

Here is my list of my Top 15 albums of 2006. I know the year isn't completely over yet, but there are no records coming out over the Christmas break that will be good enough to push the records I already have on my list out of my list. I'm happy with the way my list looks and I know they're will be some bloggers out there who will point out numerous records that I may have left off my list (No Gnarls Barkley, no The Knife, No Sufjan Stevens...what am I thinking!?). But if you do have an opinion about my Top 15, and believe me there will be people, feel free to leave a comment, I'm more than happy to have a read and justify my argument of having that record on the list. But before you leave your comment, just remember, these are the records I enjoyed through the year, not you. Anyway, enough chitta-chat, without further stolling here is my Top 15 for 2006.


01. Sarah Blasko - What The Sea Want's The Sea Will Have
Beautiful, stunning, captivating, brilliant, emotional. What more can you want from a solo artist?

Sarah Blasko Showstopper


02. Blood Brothers - Young Machetes
A perfect follow up to their major label debut. They still have that crazy/spastic sound about them, but more radio friendly, somehow.
03. Portugal. The Man - Waiter: "You Vultures!"
This record is just plain brilliant. Well crafted pop rock songs that will get you shaken.

Portugal. The Man Gold Fronts





04. The Sleepy Jackson - Personality: One Was A Spider, One Was A Bird
Luke Steele is officially a genius. This record was a huge step up from the debut Lovers. The added orchestra brings this record to pure perfection.

The Sleepy Jackson Higher Than Hell



05. Love Is All - Nine Times That Same Song
Where has this band been! Apparently they've been around a while, but hadn't made an impact until the release of this record, and what an impact it was!

Love Is All Ageing Had Never Been His Friend




06. Be Your Own Pet - Be Your Own Pet
A band with teenagers not too much older than me make it big, who would have thought. Short, sharp, catchy pop punk songs. Highly suggest hearing this.

Be Your Own Pet Adventure



07. Wolf And Cub - Vessals
A singer/guitarist, a bass player, and whats that? Two drummers! Believe it.

Wolf And Cub Steal Their Gold





08. The Grates - Gravity Wont Get Your High
This album has been a favorite of mine since it's release earlier this year. It never fails to put me in a good mood.

The Grates 19 20 20




09. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Haven't these guys had another massive year, and it's all due to this fabulous second release.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cheated Hearts




10. TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
Yet another terrific second release, these guys are one of the most creative and imaginative people to make music.

TV On The Radio Hours




11. The Long Blondes - Someone To Drive You Home
A late bloomer for me, but it was good enough to make it's way into my list. Debut album from the pop fashion group.

The Long Blondes You Could Have Both




12. Lily Allen - Alright, Still
A massive guilty pleasure for me, but then again who doesn't like this album. She's extremely catchy and has a potty mouth.

Lily Allen LDN




13. CSS - Cansei De Ser Sexy
Yet another late bloomer (as of last week in fact), but I couldn't leave this record out of the list. It has everything you want to get a party started.

CSS Music Is My Hot Hot Sex



14. Hot Chip - The Warning
Whos elist didn't this record make it on? Must I explain why these guys are so good?

Hot Chip Tchaparian





15. The Killers - Sam's Town
Another guilty pleasure. This was such a brilliant follow up to their debut, which in my opinion was pretty poor.

Labels:

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768