Monday, October 16, 2006

Camera Obscura

Okay so I'm a bit slow on this one but I managed to pull myself together and get a copy of Camera Obscura's record "Let's Get Out Of This Country" and let me say that I should have gotten it earlier. After hearing the first single as well as the first track off the album "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" I was immediately caught by the album's catchiness of Tracyanne Campbell's absurd tribute to Lloyd Cole; especially in the line of "I know you can stay a girl by holding a boy's hand". The record also features of couple more tributes to Jimmy Webb, Connie Francis, Skeeter Davis, The Supremes, and David Lynch. After the success of the 2003 album "Underachievers Please Try Harder", the new one is set to follow and I'm thinking it may be bigger than the last by the look of things. They're extensively touring throughout Europe and the U.S up until December. They're coming to Australia for the St Jerome's Laneway Festival in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane in February/March 2007 but unfortunately it's over 18's but I will try to seek to some of their own shows if possible. I'll probably have to beg them to play other shows. Camera Obscura have been often compared to Belle And Sebastian, only on the basis they are both from Glasgow Scotland. This is definetly one of my favourite albums so far this year. To put it to words I'd say it's charming and enticing. If you like that folky twee pop, you'd enjoy this as much as I do.

Camera Obscura Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken
Camera Obscura If Looks Could Kill
Camera Obscura Tears For Affairs
Camera Obscura Let's Get Out Of This Country

By: Sandra

Labels:

© Copyright Off The Record
Best viewed in 1024x768